Saturday, January 5, 2008

LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE....


WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT, IT HAPPENS
Yesterday, I took the whole out to the latest Japanese restaurant. It is a quaint place located at the new Mall opposite the old Jaya Supermarket. It is a Shabu-Shabu place. I was enjoying the meal so much. Then it happened!

A LOOSE PIECE OF FALSIES.....
I bit on a piece of beef and pulled. To my horror, my false teeth came out and 'plonked' on the table. I tried to cover it with a napkin but it was too late. "Yuks" my grandson hollered. "How disgusting. Grandpa's false teeth has come out!"

LAUGHTER ALL AROUND.....AT MY EXPENSE
Everyone had a good time laughing except me of course! But I have learnt to look at the bright side of things. I once almost defeated the National Table-tennis champion of Malaysia with my false teeth. I represented my state Sabah in 1983 where the national Table-tennis competition was played in a town called Seremban.

FALSE TEETH COMES OUT IN TABLE-TENNIS GAMES TOO.....
There I was badly trailing the National Champion of Malaysia when it happened! Just as I jumped to smash the ball, I grunted and to my horrors (just like how it happened in the Japanese Restaurant), my false teeth flew 10 feet across to the playing side of my opponent. Suddenly a boy in the audience shouted (just like my Grandson did), "Hey! he lost his false teeth!"

WHAT A WAY TO WIN - THROUGH LAUGHTER
The whole stadium erupted in laughter. My opponent almost rolled on the floor in laughter. Every time he stood opposite me to receive my serves, he would double up in laughter. He lost the next 10 consecutive points and I won the first set.

FRIENDSHIP THROUGH GREAT LAUGHTER
It was a good thing he recovered his composure in the next 2 sets or I could have been the Malaysian Table-tennis champion for 1983. Today, he is still a great friend of mine. Every time we meet, he would regale with laughter over my false teeth. See - laughter really breaks down huge barriers.

Come laugh with me!!


No comments: